A customer recently asked us how to cite a Google map in APA style. There is no specific entry in the APA Publication Manual for doing this. We suggested that she cite this as a web page because that is what it is.
To cite a web page you need the URL. Here is how to get the URL for a Google Map.
- Search Google maps for the location you are discussing in your paper
- Click the more link (see the screen shot)
- Click the Send menu choice
- Click the Send button to email yourself the URL or right click the map and select Copy URL
- Once you copy the URL (from your email or by right clicking) you can paste the URL into the reference
Hint: you can shorten the URL from this:
being sure to leave the longitude and latitude which is at the end of the URL. You can even change the size of the map by editing the size property in the URL. In the above example 300×300 is the size. A good size might be 700×700 or maybe a bit larger.
David Plaut is the founder of Reference Point Software (RPS). RPS offers a complete suite of easy-to-use formatting template products featuring MLA and APA style templates, freeing up time to focus on substance while ensuring formatting accuracy. For more information, log onto http://www.referencepointsoftware.com/ or write to:
info @ referencepointsoftware.com
Reference Point Software is not associated with, endorsed by, or affiliated with the American Psychological Association (APA) or with the Modern Language Association (MLA).